Thursday, August 22, 2013

#1: Design is Everything

I designed this blog to embody who I am as a person. The most noticeable thing at first glance is likely the background image depicting a bright, blank, television screen, old leather armchair, and various hung pictures. I’ve always been thoroughly fascinated with the intricate, vintage, and peculiar. This image is an artful depiction of curiosity with the old, symbolizing a rooted, but not intense background in the past that defines my actions even now.  The next most noticeable thing is likely the title. While it seems less than professional in some regards, it really is a defining picture of what this blog is about. Rather than the usual use of YOLO, I personally use it as justification to further challenge myself. For what is living if one is simply complacent with their situation? It was, subconsciously a major reason for taking this class. I use the phrase often enough— Why not relate it to English? At the top is an interactive fish gadget (click away) that symbolizes the multifaceted nature of myself that I have come to love. Some of those facets are more hidden than others, as are the fish. I am not a person of one passion. I have more passions than time to follow them. The translator gadget symbolizes my multicultural background and upbringing, while the Wikipedia gadget at the bottom represents my love of knowledge and self-discovery. If you’re ever confused or intrigued by anything on the blog, I’ve added avenues for personal research for your convenience.
           

            In terms of color choices, the striking white on black background was chosen to both “ensure readability” and give a “modern look and feel.” The white font also gives a sense of tranquility and creates a “sense of space.” It allows me to create a sense of peace in the blog that welcomes readers. The indigo-pink link text adds to this sense of calmness. Furthermore, I wanted to give an impression of myself with the typography. The title is in a warm font while the body text is more formal and readable. Similarly, I want to embody myself as someone inviting and personable, while conveying a deeper sense of knowledge and personality beneath the surface.

References:


No comments:

Post a Comment